Thursday, November 22, 2018

At the House of Dree - Gordon Gardiner


A few years ago, I noticed a reference in the London Mercury (April 1928) to At the House of Dree by Gordon Gardiner (Sampson Low, 1928), described by the reviewer Edward Shanks as “one of the best “thrillers” I have read for a considerable time”. It is set on the north east coast of Scotland and narrated by a retired Scots policeman, and involves German spies and the Thugee cult.

I sent for a copy (which turned out to be inscribed by the author) but it had a steady start so I didn’t then carry on with it. However, upon trying again later, I found it is indeed an excellent thriller, in the mode of John Buchan, with the thematic influence of Kipling too. The two main characters, the pawky Scottish Inspector Catto, and an insouciant English spycatcher, are well-realised and nicely contrasted, and their working relationship is conveyed adroitly.

The espionage element is overshadowed by an occult dimension. The aged and wizened local laird and his Indian servant are sinister figures, living in a semi-ruinous manor on the coast, the House of Dree of the title, near a secret research station, and practising an elaborate form of ritual sorcery. They win the confidence of a visiting American-German professor, supposedly studying fishing, but suspected of spying, and invite him as a guest to the house. The two threads begin to converge.

This is a colourful, well-paced, enthralling yarn with a strong supernatural element. Gardiner (1874-1937) seems to have written three other novels: The Reconnaissance (1914), The Pattern of Chance (1929), and The Man With a Weak Heart (1932) and appears also to be the author of Notes of A Prison Visitor (1938), a posthumous publication.

Image: ontos blog.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this review Mark. It sounds so good that I just ordered a copy from abebooks. Sadly no DJ but only $12.00 plus postage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, Walker, did you buy your copy of House of Dree from Hedgehog's Whimsey books? I see they have a copy for $12 that I was about to order and it struck me that it could actually already have been sold to you. I always pay attention to Mark's rediscoveries.--michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michael. Yes, I ordered my copy from Hedgehog Whimsey Books but there are more copies listed by abebooks from other dealers. I also pay close attention to Mark's rediscoveries. Plus the magazine WORMWOOD is excellent. I have all 31 issues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my next move, I'm going to buy up all the copies of a book and then recommend it...(strokes white cat and emits fiendish laughter). Mark

    ReplyDelete